Are Your Dreams Locked Behind Closed Doors?
Today, I want to talk with you about something that I feel is one of those crucial conversations. What may look great on the outside is not necessarily what's happening behind closed doors. Every day, women across the world and across every socioeconomic status fight for their dignity, self worth and financial stability.
I know, personal finances is one of those topics that is supposed to be 'personal.' So, why is it that we can talk about men, sex and just about everything else with our girlfriends. Those are personal topics, too, aren't they?
Are we afraid of being judged?
Is it because we've been comparing our lives to the lies of social media, where everyone, except us, is living a 'perfect' life?
I previously talked about the money mindset I grew up with.
- Children should be seen and not heard.
- Money is the root of all evil.
- Nice girls don't talk about money.
I think there are a few things going on here.
- There are women who were raised not to be prideful about success, especially financial success. While I don't believe in boasting as way to upstage someone else, especially another woman, you have every right to celebrate hard work and small successes along the way to the big successes.
- Getting back to my own childhood beliefs about children should be seen and not heard, many women, including myself, who grew up with engrained in their beliefs, never learned how to use their voice. Using her voice was either never encouraged or it was squelched along the way when she tried. In my case, it was both.
If this is you, know you're not alone. We've all heard the saying, "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." I want to encourage you today to know that, even though you're now a grown woman, there is still that little girl inside of you with big dreams waiting to be unlocked.
I did it, you can do it and if you have influence in the life of a girl, pour into her, speak life over her, tell her that no dream is too small and she will rock the world!
How? Start talking. There is no topic when it comes to finances that are off limits. Join me?
Patty Gale is a Financial Therapist and the Founder and CEO of Fear.less Girl Financial, a personal finance boutique offering heart-centered financial therapy and advice-based planning for women navigating midlife.
P.S. When you’re ready to begin your rediscovery journey, schedule a Free 30-Minute Get Acquainted Call